Milano - About the city and the workshop


Don’t drive in Milano unless you absolutely have to! And not without GPS!

If you are religious, pray a lot before entering the city.

Then remember this: push! squeeze!
And never look back, just look what’s in front of you.
In short: If in Milano, do as the Milanesi do!
And try not to get a heart attak every 20 seconds...

Thank goodness I had been in Paris and Istanbul recently, so I was slightly prepared and knew what to do. I only I hadn’t been afraid to get a scratch in the pink color of my car!

On a more positive note: I found out again that it’s good to learn foreign languages. I think I used every bit of my lousy Italian and a bit more. Talked English to Carolena and Megha. French to some other dancers. German to two dancers from Vienna.

Basically, people had come from all over Italy (even Sardegna) plus Switzerland and Austria. So we were 44 people in the workshop!
But it worked quite well.

I didn’t really learn many new things (hadn’t expected to) but for me this was more about the details, getting the feeling right and just plainly taking classes from the woman who had started American Tribal Style Bellydance! So it was really worth it for me.

By the end of the Saturday class I was soooo tired that I was really happy to change rows and just hang around in the back of the room.
In the evening about 15 of us went for a late (!!) dinner - then I slept like a stone and was fresh for the second day.

BTW, the workshop started on “Italian time”... rather delayed...

Since I was there by myself, I really made a point of talking to as many other dancers as possible - as far as my poor Italian permitted it (I think I will take out my Italian book again! If only to brush up the grammar) and everybody was very friendly.

When I finally drove back, it was mostly raining but not much traffic. So I decided that after all it would be better to make the 17 km drive through the tunnel (boring as hell! Thanks for audiobooks!) and hey, it took me less than 4 hours to get home! That’s something.

But I still want to show you a picture of this ancient mountain road (built 1830!) I took on the way down so you can get an idea: