New York - Coney Island to the max


I decided that I had 2 options: running around like a madwoman trying to fit as much into my 2,5 days in New York as possible or just take it easy and get some impressions...
I chose the latter.

So I did my pilgrimage to Victoria’s Secret and got quite a bunch of new underwear. Yes, a trip to the USA always means new underpants :-) 

Then I went to Coney Island and spent a LOT of time there, practically the entire afternoon. Mostly just walking around.
Sporting the Indian-Hawaiian fusion look!

 Yes, it's a beach and people swim here!



 SURF Avenue!
 A lot of Russian immigrants live here and it shows...

Of course I had to go on the ferris wheel - which is called Wonder Wheel here...
As you can see, it wasn't very crowded, this being a weekday afternoon.
Well, the view is not exactly super pretty...



 Here's how it is: I love ferris wheels and hate roller coasters! Only once in my life somebody persuaded me to take a ride and I was NOT happy! Never again. So I only looked at this one from a distance.
And I spent 2 hours in the Aquarium which I can highly recommend.

So pretty to look at - as long as there is glass between you and them...
Towards the evening I met up with Leela, another dancer, and her boyfriend. We had yummy Ukranian dinner that strangely reminded me of my mother's cooking!

Then I rushed back to the hotel, picked up my tango shoes and went off to the next Milonga. There I met Anasma (yepp, another bellydancer!) who didn’t really know much about Tango... But there was a really sweet guy who danced with her a lot and now we have another convert! :-)

The Tango szene in NY is dominated by people who were not born there... practically everybody had some foreign accents. It’s where travellers meet...