Beirut - Culture and beach

Thursday was a little cloudy, so it was a slightly less hot. I decided that some culture would do me good. So I went to the national museum.
It's not extremely big but there are some interesting things to see - and the museum itself is an attraction as well. They show a film about how it was heavily damaged in the war and they had covered the bigger objects in a heavy layer of concrete to protect them.









Unfortunately I couldn't take a better picture of this little head. It looked amazingly life-like.








I then went downtown to buy something to read and headed for the St. Georges beach club. There is no beach of course, but 3 nice and rather new swimming pools. There weren't many people and I had a long salt water pool all to myself to swim for a while.





Other than that I just sat there reading, dozing or looking at the yachts in the marina and the skyline. The buildings there are a strange mix of brand new high risers and war ruins that have basically been left standing there ever since the war ended 20 years ago.
Instead of the sound of waves you hear the distant noises of construction works that are going on all around this area...



After 4 PM there were more clouds so I packed my stuff and first went to get a manicure and then got my hair washed. Nothing like a bit of pampering :-)



Back at the hotel I had been moved into a smaller room - a really small room! So I decided to go down to the lobby and do my writing there.



One problem I have here are my feet. I have too many blisters everywhere from walking in the heat for hours - even when I wear older shoes they give me blisters. Now all I can wear are my flip flops.
When I went out to tango that night, I had to put on several band aids so I could make it through the evening.



The milonga was held at a restaurant and rather small in space, but there were a lot of people. So it was a bit difficult to dance, people kept bumping into each other.
By now I started to recognize people from previous evenings and I also met a woman that somebody from Istanbul had put me in contact with. That's one of the nice things about tango, especially when you travel a lot: Your part of a big global community.